2019 Commencement Ceremony
UTHealth School of Public Health holds its annual commencement ceremony at the end of each spring semester. All students who are awarded their degree during summer 2018, fall 2018, and spring 2019 from all campuses are encouraged to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Please note: UTHealth School of Public Health has a graduates-only participation policy. Only graduates from the semesters mentioned above are eligible to join the ceremony.
View photos from the 2018 ceremony on our Flickr site.
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2019
Time: Ceremony 2:00pm-4:00pm
Graduates arrive by 12:30pm
Faculty arrive by 1:00pm
Location: NRG Center, One NRG Park, Houston,Texas 77054 (Please enter at Hall B, east side of the building, and take the elevator/escalator to the second floor)
Public health and policy leader to deliver commencement address
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Public Health will welcome Courtney N. Phillips, PhD, executive commissioner for the Texas Health and Human Services system, as the commencement speaker of the graduating class of 2019.
Commissioner Phillips oversees two agencies, the Texas Health and Human Services Commission and the Texas Department of State Health Services. The agencies directly serve millions of Texans each year and are focused on improving the lives of all citizens of the Lone Star State.
In her previous role, Phillips served as chief executive officer for the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. As the head of the largest department in Nebraska’s government, she was responsible for the divisions of Behavioral Health, Children and Family Services, Developmental Disabilities, Medicaid and Long-Term Care, and Public Health, as well as agency operations. She has also served as the deputy secretary for the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals.
Phillips holds a bachelor’s degree in kinesiology and a Master of Public Administration from Louisiana State University, and a PhD in public policy from Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Student Marshal: TBA
2019 Pre-Commencement Reception
UTHealth School of Public Health hosts an annual pre-commencement reception on the day prior to commencement. All students who are awarded their degree during summer 2018, fall 2018, and spring 2019 from all campuses are welcome to attend the reception.
Event details will be posted as they become available over the coming months.
View photos from the 2018 reception on our Flickr site.
Date: Friday, May 17, 2019
Location: Reuel A. Stallones Building (RAS) First Floor Lobby, 1200 Pressler Street, Houston, TX 77030
Note: Parking in front of the building is limited. The most convenient visitor parking lots are Garage 2 on Bertner, and the TMC South Extension Visitor Lot where you can take the free TMC white shuttle directly to the building. View parking directions and rates here, and download the TMC Visitor Parking guide here.
All graduates participating in commencement are required to wear regalia ordered from our vendor.
Graduates and Candidates Rental Portal: https://buildagrad.com/uthhoustonstudents
- If you need assistance with your order, contact Balfour at 1-844-711-6100, Monday-Friday, 9:00am-4:30pm CST.
- Clothes underneath and shoes should be business casual.
- Extra regalia WILL NOT be available at the ceremony.
- Saturday, April 20, 2019 (regular shipping)
- Saturday, May 4, 2019 (extra fees apply)
Delivery and Return
- All regalia will be shipped directly to participants.
- No refunds after the regalia ships.
- Regalia must be returned to the onsite Balfour representative immediately after the ceremony.
View detailed rental instructions here.
- The dress for graduates (under regalia and shoes) and guests is business casual.
- Certain apparel appearing outside of the regalia (i.e. pants, long dresses or skirts, socks, shoes) should be neutral or dark in color.
- Due to the warm weather conditions that are typical during May, lightweight clothing is recommended for apparel worn under the regalia.
- Necklaces should be tucked inside of the regalia.
- No props (i.e. feather boas, glow-in-the-dark or lighted items, bells, etc.) should be worn with the regalia.
- DO NOT add decorations to the regalia.
UTHealth School of Public Health reserves the right to require you to remove any embellishment deemed inappropriate by authorized university officials before you are permitted to participate in the ceremony.
Tassels are worn on the left before and during the ceremony and switched to the right at the end of the ceremony.
Order official School of Public Health announcements through Herff Jones here.
Local Graduation Ceremonies
- All recent summer, fall and spring graduates from the Austin, Brownsville, Dallas, El Paso and San Antonio campuses are welcome to attend both the local and Houston ceremonies.
View general event information on local ceremonies below.
- Contact your campus coordinator(s) for details on the local ceremony.
Thursday, May 16, 2019
Texas Medical Association Building
Tuesday, May 7, 2019
UTHealth Brownsville RAHC Building Flexible Room
Thursday, May 9, 2019
T. Boone Pickens Biomedical Building UTSW Med Center, 14th floor
Thursday, May 16, 2019
DoubleTree El Paso Downtown
Thursday, April 25, 2019
UTHealth San Antonio, Holly Auditorium