Practicum Checklist


  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
  • Summer Registration - Register during the first session.  You cannot register for the second session. You must be registered for the entire Summer semester.
  • Complete the online orientation session and quiz one semester prior to practicum
  • Discuss potential sites with your faculty advisor
  • Contact potential sites
  • Choose a site
  • Choose a  faculty sponsor
  • If you are in a concentration (Global Health, Health Disparities, Leadership Studies, Maternal & Child Health, Physical Activity & Health), check with your concentration advisor to verify that your practicum is appropriate to your concentration. The Office of Public Health Practice/Practicum Office does not verify this.
  • If you are an International Student on an F-1 visa sponsored by UTHealth, you must use the tab above labeled INT’L STUDENTS for specific information and additional steps.
  • Meet with faculty sponsor and community preceptor to complete the Learning Contract. Give a copy of the Roles & Responsibilities with your community preceptor. This is found under Responsibilities on the practicum website. Print out the Example SPH Practica Learning Contract to formalize the details of your practicum with your faculty sponsor and community preceptor. Then use this link to enter your learning contract which will go directly into a database. Send any minor changes to Do not re-enter the learning contract.
  • Submit a new Learning Contract only if objectives substantially change.
  • Upon submission of your online learning contract, a copy of your learning contract is automatically forwarded to the community preceptor, faculty sponsor, and the Office of Public Health Practice (OPHP/Administration). If you are at a regional campus, forward a copy of your approved learning contract to the Regional Campus Coordinator. The learning contract must have all approvals before the practicum starts.
  • Retain one copy
  • If you are planning an international practicum and are going abroad, you must follow these additional steps before an approval is given: International Travel Guidelines. If you request an approval code after your experience, you will not receive credit.
  • Register for course - PH 9997. The approval code for your faculty sponsor is available from the Associate Dean for Public Health Practice. The OPHP office must have a copy of the Learning Contract to receive the approval code, along with completion of the orientation & quiz. Registering for the practicum also registers you for the online practicum seminar.  
  • The breakdown for registering for a practicum. For Fall and Spring, the hours you will participate in your practicum per week are in increments of 4 and for the Summer, increments of 5. The hours/week may vary depending on you and your community preceptor. The minimum hours/semester will not vary. You will participate 180 hours with your practicum site in addition to completing the online seminar.

 Fall and Spring   Semester - 15 weeks

Summer Semester   - 12 weeks

1 credit hour   =   4 hrs/wk =   60 hours/semester
2 credit hours =   8 hrs/wk = 120 hours/semester
3 credit hours = 12 hrs/wk = 180 hours/semester

1 credit hour   =   5 hrs/wk =   60 hours/semester
2 credit hours = 10 hrs/wk = 120 hours/semester
3 credit hours = 15 hrs/wk = 180 hours/semester

  • Complete a proposal if you intend to use the practicum as your culminating experience requirement. The Office of Public Health Practice/Practicum Office does not provide this information. See the Academics webpage and your faculty advisor.
  • FOR DrPH STUDENTS ONLY: DrPH Practicum Guidelines


  • Meet with your faculty sponsor and community preceptor as needed
  • Participate in online seminar (Effective January 2007). Registering for the practicum automatically registers you for the online seminar. You will see the practicum seminar in Blackboard about a week after the first class.
  • Your participation in Blackboard is in addition to your responsibilities with your site. Blackboard participation is not included in your hours at your site.
  • Share your final product with community preceptor
  • Complete the practicum evaluation and encourage your community preceptor to complete the same

Practicum Related Special Requirements for International Students on F-1 Visas: Houston & Regional Campuses

Students at regional campuses should allow time for processing and mailing.

  • See Practicum Checklist and follow additional steps below.
  • Obtain a letter on organization letterhead from the Community preceptor specifying the beginning and ending dates of the practicum, learning objectives, hours per week, paid or unpaid and location. If an unpaid position converts to a paid position during the semester, contact the Office of International Affairs immediately.
  • Register for the practicum - PH 9997 after completion of the online orientation and learning contract
  • Forward a copy of the completed Learning Contract and Community preceptor letter to the Director of Enrollment in the Office of Student Affairs (John Adams: 713-500-9033; email: John Adams can provide an original letter signed by the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs/Director of Student Affairs stating how the proposed training/employment would qualify as CPT.
  • Receive documentation required for the Office of International Affairs from The Office of Student Affairs
  • Receive endorsement of I-20 from the Office of International Affairs. For further details click here: Curricular Practical Training-CPT