There are several steps in the application process. Make sure to complete each step or your application will not be in the queue to be reviewed. We look forward to receiving your application.
I. Visit SOPHAS.org to complete the online application for the Schools of Public Health Application Service.
- Helpful Source: SOPHAS Frequently Asked Questions
II. Make sure all supporting documents for the SOPHAS online application are submitted to SOPHAS by the designated deadline.
- Submit Two (2) letters of recommendation
- All post-secondary and professional school transcripts (Transcripts from non-US institutions will need to be verified by the World Education Services (WES) and submitted directly to SOPHAS. (A course-by-course ICAP transcript evaluation is required.)
- Valid GRE Scores - SOPHAS code: 4479 or MCAT Scores -SOPHAS code: SOPHAS.
- For GRE exams: a combined recommended score of 298 for Masters programs and 308 for Doctoral programs on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the General Test is preferred. For the Analytical Writing section, a score of at least 4.0 on a scale of 6.0 is preferred. GRE scores are valid within 5 yrs of test date.
- Beginning September 1, 2018 UTHealth School of Public Health will now begin to accept the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) scores for applicants applying to our Master of Public Health (MPH) programs only. For MCAT Scores, a recommended total score of 500 is preferred. Only scores received directly from the American Association of Medical Colleges testing service will be considered. MCAT Scores are valid within 3 yrs of test date.
- GRE/MCAT scores may be waived for applicants holding U.S. earned doctoral letter degrees. Please note that GRE/MCAT scores are used by the Admissions Committee to aid admissions decisions in the determination of qualified recipients of competitive scholarships. ECFMG certified physicians will also be granted a waiver if they are practicing medicine in the U.S. (e.g. active in a medical residency program or in other clinical medical practice in the U.S.). Please email SPHAdmissionsTestWaiver@uth.tmc.edu with your waiver request. Applicants for whom a GRE/MCAT has been waived are ineligible for new student scholarship consideration.
- For International students only: Our institution code is 5688 (TOEFL). No department code is needed. Official IELTS scores meeting minimum requirement should be mailed to: ATTN: Elvis Parada; 1200 Pressler St. Houston, TX 77030
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives: A Statement of Purpose and Objectives is intended to give you the opportunity to submit a narrative describing your past education, experience, and current professional career objectives. You are encouraged to comment on any or all of the following: plans you have to use your education and training; the needs and/or challenges you perceive as important in your field of study; and any personal qualities, characteristics, and skills you believe will enable you to be successful in your chosen field of study. If there are any extenuating circumstances that you wish for the Admissions Committee to consider, please briefly describe them in your Statement of Purpose and Objectives. In addition, the personal statement should address the following:
- Why are you interested in public health?
- What are your public health interests?
- Why are you interested in UTHealth School of Public Health?
Use of SafeAssign: Statements of Purpose and Objectives are run through SafeAssign to detect cases of unoriginal work. Applicants found to have plagiarized their Statement of Purpose and Objectives will not be considered for admission to UTHealth School of Public Health
III. For DrPH Health Promotion and PhD Behavioral Science applicants only: a writing sample that demonstrates competence in written communication for academic work. The applicant should be the sole or first author on the submitted work. Theses, publications, or other academic work are preferred. Writing samples should be uploaded electronically into your SOPHAS application.
IV. Be sure you meet the indicated Application Deadlines for the semester you would like to begin enrollment.
V. You can log into SOPHAS at any time after you have applied, to determine if your supporting documents (transcripts, letter of recommendation, etc.) have been received. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
VI. Once SOPHAS marks your application as verified and SOPHAS has received ALL required materials, it will be reviewed in the order in which it was received.
VII.Following the review of your completed application, you will be notified via email and regular mail regarding the status of your application.
Applications for Admission for International Students (unless applicants already reside in the United States) and Doctoral Students are accepted for the Fall semester only.
The GRE Codes for Non-SOPHAS applicants are 6906 or 6907.
For more information on International Student Requirements, please click Prospective International Applicants.
For further assistance with the application process and information, please contact email@example.com