COVID-19 Resources and Updates
To keep our community informed about the vaccine, the science behind it, and its safety, UTHealth has developed several resources to keep our school community and the public informed. We encourage you to check these resources regularly, as they are updated when new content becomes available.
- Here for Houston website (information on UTHealth's response to the pandemic)
- COVID-19 FAQ (currently limited to vaccine information)
Internal community resources (must log in to access):
- COVID-19 virus and vaccine FAQ (use the listed quick guide to navigate between topics)
- Information about vaccine enrollment and distribution for faculty, staff and students
- UTHealth resources for faculty, staff and students
- A list of announcements from UTHealth President Colasurdo, MD
- SPH COVID-19 resources, including the vaccine enrollment survey and IT support contacts
Summer 2021 COVID-19 Updates
Coming to campus: All students
Students must follow all safety guidelines and protocols issued by UTHealth when visiting campus for any reason. If you already know that you will be attending class in-person, please complete the UTHealth COVID-19 Screening Form prior to arriving on campus.
Course delivery guidelines for the summer 2021 term
The majority of in-person/ITV courses (courses with a PH, PHM, or PHD prefix) will be hybrid and utilize WebEx to host class. Faculty may be teaching from off-site, their office or in the classroom. Similarly, the students may be off-site or in the classroom (exceptions are noted below).
- Some lab-based or practice-based courses may be held in-person; faculty will reach out to students directly with plans for these courses, including precautionary and preventative actions that will be taken to ensure the safety of students and faculty.
- Online courses (courses with a PHW, PHWM, or PHWD prefix) will continue to be delivered fully online as usual.
- Students enrolled in independent studies, PH 9997 Practicum, PHM 9998 Culminating Experience/Thesis Research, PHD 9999 Dissertation Research should work with their faculty advisor or supervising faculty member to make appropriate arrangements.
- Faculty and staff will be reaching out to communicate new procedures and etiquette for their classes before the start of the term. If you have any questions about how your course will be delivered, please contact your instructor directly.
Information for international students on F-1 visas
Continuing F-1 students who are in the U.S. are not required to enroll in the summer term if they intend to return to full-time student status in the fall term. Continuing F-1 students who choose to enroll in the summer term may enroll in as many classes as they wish, including online courses. All questions should be directed to the Office of International Affairs.
Summer 2021 course registration information
The summer 2021 course schedule is available for viewing using the interactive course schedule. The registration period for summer 2021 will open at 8:00 a.m. on April 12, 2021. The myUTH Student Registration Guide will give you step-by-step instructions for searching and registering for courses in myUTH. For other important registration dates and deadlines, see the list of Summer 2021 Enrollment Dates. If you need assistance determining which courses to take, please review your degree planner and reach out to your academic advisor. If you have trouble registering for courses, please contact SPHCourseSchedule@uth.tmc.edu. If you have any holds on your account that restrict your ability to register for courses and are not sure how to resolve these holds, please contact SPHStudentServices@uth.tmc.edu.
Joining a streaming class in WebEx
A link to the teaching faculty member’s personal WebEx room used for hosting the class will be placed on each course’s Canvas page prior to the first day of classes for the summer term. Step-by-step instructions for how to join a streaming class are attached to this email for your immediate reference. It will also be available on the SPHCOVID19 Resources page on the School of Public Health Intranet. For technical support, email SPHIThelp@uth.tmc.edu or call (713) 500-9065. For help outside of normal business hours, please call the main UTHealth helpdesk at (713) 486-4848.
The learning contract submission deadline for summer 2021 practicum experiences is Monday, May 10, 2021. Any learning contracts submitted after the deadline may not be eligible to register for the summer session. The Office of Public Health Practice and Engagement (OPHPE) strongly recommends the submission of learning contracts prior to the deadline to allow faculty and preceptors time to review and approve. Faculty mentor and preceptor approval is required before the OPHPE will review, approve, and issue enrollment information for the practicum course (PH 9997). Students wishing to enroll in practicum during the 6-week summer two session must submit their learning contract no later than Monday, June 7, 2021. Remote experiences are strongly encouraged and international travel is prohibited at this time. Travel restriction information is available on the Travel to Restricted Regions webpage provided by the UTHealth Office of the Executive Vice President and Chief Academic Officer. For additional information and guidance, visit the Practicum Overview page on mySPH. The Office of Public Health Practice and Engagement is available at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please continue to check your UTHealth email for communication from the School and University. If you have questions or concerns, please email SPHStudentServices@uth.tmc.edu.