Classroom Observation Form
CHAMPSS Toolbox > Implement > Classroom Observation Form
What is the purpose of this tool?
The Classroom Observation Form is a template that can be used when observing how lessons are implemented in different classrooms. The purpose of these observations is to measure the fidelity and quality of the program delivery.
Who should complete these forms?
District-level health coordinators (or equivalent administrators) and/or the individuals assigned to observe the implementation of various lessons in different classrooms.
How long will it take to complete these forms?
This may vary depending on the number of notes taken and the length of the lesson observed. However, generally, it should only take a few minutes to complete a Classroom Observation Form. Note that the form is not completed until immediately after observing the classroom session.
How do I complete a Classroom Observation Form?
- Prior to observing a classroom, read through each section of the Classroom Observation Form to become familiar with the questions and observation items.
- Observe the entire classroom session and take notes as needed to fill out the form once the session is over.
- To fill out the form, ensure that the name and level of the program, facilitator, and location are noted in the top row.
- Also note the observer’s name, observation date, duration, lesson #, and # of participants.
- Follow the guidelines for scoring and completion of the observation form. Use your best judgment.
- Do not change the scoring provided. For example, do not circle multiple answers or score a 1.5 rather than a 1 or a 2.