It's Your Game
It's Your Game ... Keep it Real! (IYG) is a classroom- and computer-based HIV, STI, and pregnancy prevention program. It consists of twenty-four 50-minute lessons delivered during 7th and 8th grade. In each grade, the program integrates group-based classroom activities (e.g., role plays, group discussion, and small group activities) with personalized journaling and individually tailored activities that are computer-based.
The program was designed for urban middle school youth in grades 7 and 8, ages 12 to 14. It was first tested with youth in grade 7, who were primarily Hispanic and African-American. More recently, it has also been evaluated with White and Hispanic adolescents in 7th and 8th grades.
IYG covers the following topics:
- Knowledge of health risks, healthy relationships, healthy communication, decision-making, goal setting, and condom use.
- Behavioral beliefs regarding goals and dreams, the use of abstinence in preventing risk for HIV, STIs, and pregnancy, and the belief that one's partner would not approve of abstinence and react negatively to it.
- Attitudes toward abstinence.
- Behavioral intent to remain abstinent.
- Perception of Risk (Personal Vulnerability) to HIV, STIs, and pregnancy.
- Skills and self-efficacy in identifying parts of the male and female reproductive system.
- The physical, emotional, and social consequences of having sex.
- Skills and self-efficacy for refusing sex.
- Skills and self-efficacy for using condoms and other contraceptives.
The IYG curriculum was developed using a systematic instructional design process, Intervention Mapping, to ground its content in social cognitive theory, social influence models, and the theory of triadic influence.
News About IYG
The CHPPR has recently partnered with ETR Associates (www.etr.org), the world's leading publisher of evidence-based sexual and reproductive health curricula, to distribute IYG through its Sexual & Reproductive Health Program Success Center.