Pozole Verde Recipe
Pozole Verde Ingredients:
- 7 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 poblano chiles—cored, seeded and quartered
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and quartered
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Three 15-ounce cans of hominy, drained
- Finely shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, whole-grain tortilla chips and lime wedges, for serving
- In a large pot, bring the chicken stock and water to a boil.
- In a blender, combine the halved tomatillos with the quartered onion, poblanos, jalapeños, smashed garlic, chopped cilantro, and oregano. Pulse until coarsely chopped, scraping down the side. With the machine on, add 1 cup of the cooking liquid and puree until smooth. Season the tomatillo puree with salt and pepper.
- In a large deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the tomatillo puree and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce turns a deep green, about 12 minutes.
- Pour the green sauce into the cooking liquid in the pot. Add the hominy and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the shredded chicken to the pot, season with salt and pepper and cook just until heated through.
- Serve the pozole in deep bowls, topping with the shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, whole-grain tortilla chips, and lime wedges at the table.