Dell Health Undergraduate Scholars
The Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar (DHUS) program is a unique part-time research opportunity for one undergraduate student interested in public health, community building, and/or obesity prevention. The Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living, funded by the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), conducts research and provides programs that promote healthy living for children, their families and their communities.
The DHUS program provides funding for students to work and gain public health research experience. For the 2021-2022 school year, the Center will accept one undergraduate student from Huston-Tillotson University, Austin Community College, St. Edward’s University, or Concordia University to work 15 hours/week from September to May, with the option to extend the internship through July.
During this period, the Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar is expected to:
- Be trained in public health research using Center project resources
- Assist with Center community events, academic forums, and associated activities
- Provide support to faculty and staff with health policy research
- Assist with community health research and programs
- Assist with a project or Center activity related to the student’s public health interest
- Receive training, resource, and guidance from faculty and staff mentors whose research aligns with the student’s interests
- Participate in administrative tasks, in order to be fully trained as a public health professional
The Center Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar Program is led by Dr. Deanna Hoelscher, Dr. Alexandra van den Berg, and Melissa Campos-Hernandez. The candidate for this position will be reviewed and selected using a competitive process.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Undergraduate student enrolled at Huston-Tillotson University, Austin Community College, St. Edward’s University, or Concordia University during the school year (preferably entering junior or senior year)
- Available to work 15 hours/week during the work day (8:00am-5:00pm) from September to May (with option to extend through July)
Contact and Application Information
The application period for the 2021 - 2022 Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar program is closed. The 2022 - 2023 application will open in Spring 2022.
For any questions about the program, please contact Melissa Campos-Hernandez at Melissa.A.CamposHernandez@uth.tmc.edu.
Current Dell Health Undergraduate Scholars
The 2021 - 2022 Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar will be announced soon!
Past Dell Health Undergraduate Scholars
- Tytiana Matthews (2021), Huston-Tillotson University
- Alejandra Rueda (2020-2021), Concordia University
- Cristobal Garcia-Quiroz (2019-2020), St. Edward's University
- Yolanda Guzman (2018-2019), St. Edward's University
- Jessica Marquez (2017-18), St. Edward's University
- Jackie Ortuno (2016-17), St. Edward's University
- Vanessa Lerma (2015-16), St. Edward's University
- Timothy Cooley (2014-15), Huston-Tillotson University