Dell Health Undergraduate Scholars
The Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar (DHUS) program is a unique research opportunity for one part-time undergraduate student interested in public health, community building, and/or obesity prevention. The Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living, funded by the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), conducts research and provides programs that promote healthy living for children, their families and their communities. One undergraduate scholar will be selected for a 9-month paid fellowship starting in September of each school year.
The DHUS program provides funding for students to work and gain public health research experience. The Center will accept one undergraduate student from Huston-Tillotson University, St. Edward’s University, or Concordia University to work 15 hours/week from September to May, with the option to extend the internship through August.
During this period, the Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar is expected to:
- Be trained in public health research using Center project resources
- Assist with Center community events, academic forums, and associated activities
- Provide support to faculty and staff with health policy research
- Assist with community health research and programs
- Assist with a project or Center activity related to the student’s public health interest
- Receive training, resource, and guidance from faculty and staff mentors whose research aligns with the student’s interests
- Participate in administrative tasks, in order to be fully trained as a public health professional
The Center Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar Program is led by Dr. Deanna Hoelscher and Dr. Alexandra van den Berg. The candidate for this position will be reviewed and selected using a competitive process.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Undergraduate student enrolled at Huston-Tillotson, St. Edward’s University, or Concordia University during the school year (preferably entering junior or senior year)
- Available to work 15 hours/week during the work day (8:00am-5:00pm) from September to May (with option to extend through August)
Contact and Application Information
The application period for the 2020-2021 Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar program has ended.
A second Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar position will be available later this fall. The position will occur Spring 2021 - Summer 2021. Applications will open late in Fall 2020. Preference to students enrolled at Huston-Tillotson will be provided.
For any questions about the program, please contact Melissa Campos-Hernandez at Melissa.A.CamposHernandez@uth.tmc.edu.
Past Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar
- Cristobal Garcia-Quiroz (2019-2020), St. Edward's University
- Yolanda Guzman (2018-2019), St. Edward's University
- Jessica Marquez (2017-18), St. Edward's University
- Jackie Ortuno (2016-17), St. Edward's University
- Vanessa Lerma (2015-16), St. Edward's University
- Timothy Cooley (2014-15), Huston-Tillotson University