Dell Health Undergraduate Scholars
The Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar (DHUS) program is a unique part-time research opportunity for one undergraduate student interested in public health, community building, and/or obesity prevention. The Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living, funded by the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), conducts research and provides programs that promote healthy living for children, their families and their communities. For the 2021 spring semester, one undergraduate scholar will be selected for a 5-month paid fellowship starting in January.
The DHUS program provides funding for students to work and gain public health research experience. For the 2021 spring semester, the Center will accept one undergraduate student from Huston-Tillotson University to work 15 hours/week from January to May, with the option to extend the internship through August.
During this period, the Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar is expected to:
- Be trained in public health research using Center project resources
- Assist with Center community events, academic forums, and associated activities
- Provide support to faculty and staff with health policy research
- Assist with community health research and programs
- Assist with a project or Center activity related to the student’s public health interest
- Receive training, resource, and guidance from faculty and staff mentors whose research aligns with the student’s interests
- Participate in administrative tasks, in order to be fully trained as a public health professional
The Center Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar Program is led by Dr. Deanna Hoelscher and Dr. Alexandra van den Berg. The candidate for this position will be reviewed and selected using a competitive process.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Undergraduate student enrolled at Huston-Tillotson University during the school year (preferably entering junior or senior year)
- Available to work 15 hours/week during the work day (8:00am-5:00pm) from January to May (with option to extend through August)
Contact and Application Information
The application period for the 2021 - 2022 Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar program will open in Spring 2021.
For any questions about the program, please contact Melissa Campos-Hernandez at Melissa.A.CamposHernandez@uth.tmc.edu.
Current Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar
Alejandra Rueda, 2020-2021 - Alejandra Rueda, a senior at Concordia University Texas, is the 2020-2021 Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar. She is obtaining a Bachelor’s in Business Administration with a concentration in Global Healthcare Policy and Management and a minor in Psychology. Alejandra is an active member of various organizations on campus and is a student athlete with Concordia’s tennis team. She also represents the Student Government Leadership Association as the Student Life Representative at Concordia. After achieving her Bachelor’s, she plans to obtain an MBA with a concentration in Healthcare Administration. Alejandra was glad to have this opportunity to nurture her passion about Global Public Health, and she hopes to impact the lives of others by the work she does.
Past Dell Health Undergraduate Scholars
- Cristobal Garcia-Quiroz (2019-2020), St. Edward's University
- Yolanda Guzman (2018-2019), St. Edward's University
- Jessica Marquez (2017-18), St. Edward's University
- Jackie Ortuno (2016-17), St. Edward's University
- Vanessa Lerma (2015-16), St. Edward's University
- Timothy Cooley (2014-15), Huston-Tillotson University