The Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar (DHUS) program is a unique research opportunity for one part-time undergraduate student interested in public health, community building, and/or obesity prevention. The Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living, funded by the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), conducts research and provides programs that promote healthy living for children, their families and their communities. One undergraduate scholar will be selected for a 9-month paid fellowship starting in September of each school year.
The DHUS program provides funding for students to work and gain public health research experience. The Center will accept one undergraduate student from Huston-Tillotson University, St. Edward’s University, or Concordia University to work 15 hours/week from September to May, with the option to extend the internship through August.
During this period, the Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar is expected to:
- Be trained in public health research using Center project resources
- Assist with Center community events, academic forums, and associated activities
- Provide support to faculty and staff with health policy research
- Assist with community health research and programs
- Assist with a project or Center activity related to the student’s public health interest
- Receive training, resource, and guidance from faculty and staff mentors whose research aligns with the student’s interests
- Participate in administrative tasks, in order to be fully trained as a public health professional
The Center Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar Program is led by Dr. Deanna Hoelscher and Dr. Alexandra van den Berg. The candidate for this position will be reviewed and selected using a competitive process.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Undergraduate student enrolled at Huston-Tillotson, St. Edward’s University, or Concordia University during the school year (preferably entering junior or senior year)
- Available to work 15 hours/week during the work day (8:00am-5:00pm) from September to May (with option to extend through August)
Contact and Application Information
The application for the 2020-2021 Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar program will open March 9, 2020 and close on April 17, 2020.
For any questions about the program, please contact Melissa Campos-Hernandez at Melissa.A.CamposHernandez@uth.tmc.edu.
2019-20 Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar
Cristobal is currently a junior studying biology and political science at St. Edward’s University. His main academic interest fluctuate between health sciences and policy and he is always eager to apply his knowledge for each subject in innovative ways. As a student in the Honors Program and through several of his courses, Cristobal has been able to gain a strong background in subjects such as nutrition, public health, and legislative action. To put his skills into action, he has worked in microbiology research, volunteered and shadowed in multiple healthcare settings, and has worked to lobby two bills relating to civics education in the Texas legislature.
When he isn’t studying, attending class, or working, Cristobal loves to play tennis in the Tennis Club at St. Edward’s and playing the viola in the university orchestra. He’s also a big foodie so ask for a restaurant recommendations and you won’t be disappointed!
Past Dell Health Undergraduate Scholar
- Yolanda Guzman (2018-2019), St. Edward's University
- Jessica Marquez (2017-18), St. Edward's University
- Jackie Ortuno (2016-17), St. Edward's University
- Vanessa Lerma (2015-16), St. Edward's University
- Timothy Cooley (2014-15), Huston-Tillotson University